Whole30 Day 1: Sooo, what’s the big deal?

After the glowing reviews from my good buddy, Katie, and the positively glowing Katie with whom I had dinner a month or so ago, I decided to try the Whole30 program. I’ve had a hard time losing about the last 10 pounds of baby weight, and just figured it’d be a good chance to nutritionally reset my body and see what happens when I exclusively eat good food for 30 days.

Thankfully, I’m not overly susceptible to junky food as it is. Yeah, I’ll eat a few chips here and there, or occasional ice cream, or pancakes (another leftover from pregnancy), or dark chocolate, but mostly I eat pretty good stuff. I love veggies. I love fruit. I snack on raw spinach. Not even kidding. But, even in the absence of a lot of junky, overprocessed food in my life, I do love cheese…and beer…and wine, and those, along with other beloved foods like legumes (including peanuts, my favorite), can apparently contribute to metabolic and inflammatory problems.

So, I’m giving this a try, and am going to make every attempt to document how it goes on a daily basis. Yesterday was Day 1, and I have to say, it was a breeze. I’m not sure what I was expecting, exactly, and maybe the hammer comes down later, but I felt generally awesome. Here’s my day in a nutshell:

What did I eat?


  • Frittata with happy chicken eggs, onions, spaghetti squash, dill pickles, tomatoes, cajun smoked salmon and fresh dill.
  • Black coffee


Afternoon snack

  • More black coffee
  • Organic Honeycrisp apple


  • Pecan crusted cod (wow, was this awesome!)
  • Steamed green beans tossed with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and more Ruth Ann’s seasoning
  • Half a pear

How did I feel?

In a word? Fantastic. I had no headaches, no crabbiness, no cravings. A coworker brought in inch-thick cookies from the local Rolling Pin bakery, and I didn’t even flinch. I did notice some slight nausea a few times during the day, and kept getting chilled, which is distinctly odd for me (I’m usually the one in the corner fanning herself during a blizzard). The funniest thing yesterday was that…everything was FUNNY. I was so slap-happy all day long. Everything was hilarious. Just my biorhythm for the day, or early effects of the change in diet? Who knows? All I know is I’m ready and raring to go for Day 2. And now, I must go heat up my breakfast frittata and get myself some coffee. BRING IT, DAY 2!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s