So, Day 5 is but a memory and it turns out we CAN get through Friday without ordering take-out! Who knew? Pizza Night In America passed without incident, and we ended up having a lovely dinner of pork and veggies. The dog is a little upset, because she didn’t get a bite of pizza crust, but she’ll get over it.
Just realized yesterday on my drive home from work that we’re one-sixth of the way through Whole30. I’m not counting; it’s just interesting to think about progress.
I was quite surprised yesterday that it was the first day in this whole thing that I actually felt HUNGRY. There were a few times yesterday afternoon where I felt downright peckish, and again last night when I went to bed. Perhaps that indicates I’m not eating enough? But that doesn’t seem to match with how stuffed I feel after each meal. Will just have to keep an eye on it and see what my body does over the upcoming weekend.
I’m still having occasional mild cravings for non-Whole30 foods, mostly snack and dessert-type things, which make me think it’s more of a habit issue than that I’m actually hungry for those things. I can resist them, though. As Sarah said to Jareth the Goblin King* in Labyrinth, “For my will is as strong as yours, and my kingdom as great. You have no power over me.” It’s a Whole30 mantra. Say it with me.
But, enough about fantastic Jim Henson movies, here’s the scoop on Day 5:
What did I eat?
- Two hard-boiled eggs
- Whole sweet potato, plain
- Black coffee
- Grilled chicken breast, seasoned with salt & pepper, but otherwise plain
- Salad bar extravaganza: hard-boiled egg slices, tomatoes, broccoli, beets, mushrooms (plain and marinated), sweet peppers
- More black coffee
- Black olives
- Baked mustardy pork tenderloin slices
- Steamed broccoli
- Sauteed spinach (in coconut oil, yum), with leftover sauteed mushrooms and onions from steak night earlier this week
How did I feel?
Other than the unexpected hunger pangs (seriously, what WERE those about?), Day 5 was another pretty easy-breezy day…and I don’t even work for Cover Girl. I do think I’m definitely still in the “adjustment” period where I’m mildly craving non-Whole30 foods more for the texture or smell than for the actual taste. I imagine that will pass as the days go on. I’m curious how the weekend will go — we tend to go out for at least a couple meals during the weekend. Pretty sure we’ll be replacing that behavior with staying home and cooking up lots of good Whole30-approved food to take us into and through Week Two.
* BTW, did anyone besides me think David Bowie was seriously sexy as the Goblin King in that movie? I mean, the ballroom scene inside the bubble where he sings “As The World Falls Down?” I admit it; it was the stuff of my tween daydreams and I distinctly remember a slight tingle when Bowie’s character was on-screen, before I even knew much about tingling…