Wow, I was a beast in the kitchen yesterday. I got so much done. I was completely exhausted by the time the evening rolled around, but it was completely satisfying at the same time. Maybe it’s just me, but I’d contend that Whole30 changes how you use your weekend. It becomes a strategic time, ripe with possibilities for efficiencies in meal planning. Sunday seems to be my most productive day, and yesterday, considering it was pouring down rain and there wasn’t anything better to do than to watch history being made via YouTube, was ripe for a meal-prep fiesta.
So, what all did I do, in between marveling at Felix?
- Made a huge savory breakfast casserole with pizza-seasoned sausage, sweet potatoes, broccoli and happy chicken eggs. This will get Ron and I through mid-week for breakfasts
- Made the oft-lauded (and with good reason; they were SPLENDID) Stovetop Pork (Citrus) Carnitas from Well Fed. My only deviation was I substituted several spoonfuls of Penzey’s Arizona Dreaming for all the spices EXCEPT the cumin and salt, which I did add. They turned out incredible. Will totally make again.
- Roasted a ton of the now-tabletop-ripened garden tomatoes I’d harvested a couple weekends ago when a hard freeze was threatening. It didn’t freeze, but these guys ripened up pretty well stem-end down on my table, anyways. We’ll use these to make a roasted tomato soup tomorrow night.
- Peeled and cored about eight CSA apples that were nearing the end of their prime to make a batch of this applesauce, minus the sugar. Did you know, when you have good apples, you don’t miss the sugar at all?
- Roasted two CSA squashes (one delicata, one mystery squash) to go with our carnitas. Note to self (and to you), that’s gotta be just about the PERFECT accompaniment to those carnitas. The sweet roasty flavor of the squash pairs awesomely with the spicy chewiness of the pork!
So, that was my big kitchen accomplishment for the day. It absolutely pales in comparison to Felix’s history-making jump, though. I was riveted! Have you seen this yet? Oh. My. God.
Now, on to yesterday’s news:
What did I eat?
- Big piece of savory breakfast casserole
- Black coffee
- Gyro brat
- Plantain chips
- Few cashews
- Citrus carnitas
- Roasted squash
- Half an avocado
- Cup of homemade, sugar-free applesauce
How did I feel?
Super productive! And tired by the end of it. But mostly super productive. Also, FELIX!